Monday 16 February 2015

What It Means to be a Supernatural Fangirl

- by Lindsey



Here's a piece by Guest Writer Lindsey looking at what being fangirl means to her! I think you'll agree, this article fits right in at sweetondean! 

Share some of your own feelings and fangirl moments with Lindsey in the comments!

You can check out Lindsey's bio on our Team sweetondean page

-sweetondean



I admittedly have an obsessive personality. If I set my mind to something, I follow it through to the end with a fervent undertaking; if I like something, I learn as much as I can about it in as many different ways as possible. It’s just one of those things that is second nature to me. 

So when something sparks my interest and grabs my attention, it can tend to do so with a voracious nature. This means that once I started watching Supernatural, there was no doubt it my mind that I would end up being enthralled by the show. There was definitely work to be done. 


Did I know what a fangirl was at that point? Maybe, I’m not really sure. Is that what I am now, most definitely! So over the last several years, even as I’ve expanded and increased my horizons, it has still left me pondering. What exactly does that mean, to be a fangirl? I tend to not fit into any molds that society, perceived or not, sets for me. In fact, I’ve made it one of my missions in life to do my best to remain original in some way. And I most certainly do not expect every other fan to be like me. After all, we are not living the Stepford life. So I did some thinking. Maybe you’ll agree, maybe you won’t. But this is what it means, to me, to be a fangirl.

It’s having an excitement for almost everything related to the show. Blogs, Twitter accounts, fanfiction, Tumblr accounts; you name it and I’ve been there and done that. The amount of content that exists for this fandom is extraordinary. At your fingertips, you have the power to see as much or as little as you want. And depending on your creativity and commitment, you have the power to create as much as you want. That is incredible!

It also means it’s having gratitude to the members of the fandom who created the content that I can spend hours looking at as I know it didn’t just appear magically. There are bloggers that post theories and observations that are thoughtful and can leave you dumbfounded as to why you didn’t see that yourself. I’ve read fanfiction that left me speechless at the end and wondering if that person knows how talented they are. There are the gifs and screencaps that provide hours of reminiscence and entertainment. 

Because of this, being a fangirl also means almost never growing bored. You are on the hunt (no pun intended) for something to look at or read all the time. Yes, there will probably always be something new out there to find and process. But at the same time, you can watch an old episode and still have your heartstrings pulled; you can see the same post or picture and still laugh like a maniac. It’s trying to laugh quietly in your office when you see something funny on Twitter or Tumblr even when you’ve seen it before, not that you’re on phone and goofing off for bit by any means. There will never be enough hours in my lifetime to search through everything this fandom has offered up, but I’m definitely going to do my best. And I’m going to enjoy every second of it.

It’s having an appreciation for the actors above and beyond their unnerving attractiveness, to put it mildly at least. The skills they possess are bar none. The talent they display in bringing such remarkable depth to their characters is captivating.



Watching Jensen and Jared for the last ten seasons, and seeing them pour everything they have into Dean and Sam, is some of what keeps me drawn into the show. They make Dean and Sam come alive; you share in their joy, you feel their pain. Their chemistry, both on and off screen, is something for the ages. This goes for all the other actors and actresses as well. And despite their hectic schedules of filming, promoting, and being with their families, they still take time to attend multiple conventions all across the country. What other current hit show can boast that about their lead actors? As I’ll be attending my first con this October, I’m so excited that I’ll get to experience that. And it’s due to their charming down-to-earth personalities, and let’s face it, their sheer awesomeness, that makes that all possible! Let us hope that that never changes. 

It’s also about recognising the value and talent of the people behind the scenes. It is sometimes easy to forget that without the writers, we wouldn’t have a show. Despite the many times that they’ve broken my heart…



They’ve made me laugh equally as much….



And I will always be wishing for more from them.

And maybe most simply yet importantly, it’s just being a fan and fandom itself. It’s being proud of what you love and expressing that however you see fit; it’s about doing what makes you happy. I will be the first person to admit that I get enjoyment out of using a fandom reference in everyday conversation when the opportunity arises; it’s impossible for me to pass up the perfect setup. Even if it falls on deaf ears, it will never cease to amuse me. 

Where I’m from in the Midwest, you wouldn’t exactly call it the epicentre of pop culture. I’m sure I’m not the only person to have this problem. Even so, that is one of the many things that I love about being a fangirl, especially for Supernatural. I know that within a few clicks there is an entire virtual community of people who love this show as much or more than I do. 


It’s sharing in the excitement of a new episode or the start of a new season. It’s laughing at the same show-related jokes. It’s being there for one another because at the end of the day, we’re all human and we just want to be loved. That collective interest can be a powerful force and should not be underestimated; to be a part of that is pretty special. 

To create a concrete depiction of what a fangirl is or what exactly that means is an impossible feat, and that is by no means what I hope to accomplish. Our feelings and impressions are as varied as our lifestyles and personalities. So being a fangirl means something a little different to each of us and we express it is different ways as well. 

Nevertheless, whether you do it quietly or you shout it at world, I think that on some level we all have a shared foundation based on these feelings. And somewhere inside of us, we all have a little of that Becky Rosen quality.

After all, it’s that passionate nature which separates us apart from everyone else. And I like that quality. In a world that is so often downbeat and depressing, the boundless enthusiasm exhibited by a group of people is refreshing and uplifting.


I know that if I’m having a bad day or need to take a break from the stress, all I have to do is visit my favourite Supernatural sites for a quick pick-me-up. So to my fellow fangirls I say, please don’t change. Continue to be a proud of the best show and the most wonderful actors. Continue to create and post anything and everything; never let anyone stifle your creativity. And above all else, continue to be you, because just like our show, you are awesome.

-Lindsey


3 comments:

  1. Lindsey that was a great piece. As a fellow Midwesterner I know what you mean. And I bet I'm even more off of the beaten path than you. Plus what some people feel too old to be fangirling over a TV show.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a big "amen" to this...from one fangirl to another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right. That. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete